The grunting sound began appearing some time in mid-2018, and while not as common as some other reported issues, it is a well known problem.
This noise is caused when the inner race of the inboard bearing of the Neo disc is dragged through the rotation by the disc. This is because the axle diameter is slightly too small for the bearing, and this allows the inner race to move.
By installing two o-rings on the axle, you add a friction element between the inner race of the inner bearing, and the axle attachment point inside the Neo. This additional friction prevents the inner race from moving, which then quiets the grunting sound. It is a very simple fix, and takes fewer than 5 minutes.
Steps To Resolve The Issue
- Make a short video like the one shown above, and send it as an attachment to email@example.com
- Tacx support will reply within two business days to let you know how they would like to proceed, and usually they will send you the o-ring repair kit shown later in this article.
- While you’re awaiting the arrival of the o-ring kit, you can absolutely continue to use Neo without concern about damaging it. It is a minor friction sound that you’re hearing, and won’t harm the Neo.
- Once your o-ring kit arrives, remove the disc with the extractor tool, and install the two included o-rings on the axle, one behind the next, in a stack.
- Replace the disc, and enjoy your quiet Neo.
What’s Included In The O-Ring Kit?
- 1pc of Din 933 M16x70 bolt
- 3pc of Din 912 M6x25 bolts
- 2pc of O-ring, thickness 2mm, ID 24mm, OD 28mm.
- Disc extractor Tool outer diam. 97mm,height 66mm
pitch circle diam. 84mm (to mount the tool with the 3 Din912 to the disc)